- Keep your distance from feeding birds. They need every minute to feed.
- Some beaches are closed during shorebird migration, to allow maximum feeding time.
- Use designated viewing areas. Info on when and where to visit
- Keep dogs leashed at all times. Just the sight of the dog causes alarm for birds.
- Please rescue overturned horseshoe crabs by putting them back on their feet. Do not lift by the tail.
- Do not drive motorized vehicles on beaches.
Signs are made by local school students after they learn about the Delaware Bay ecosystem. A selection of signs are installed on the beaches, but can be displayed in public spaces, businesses, or yards. Join us to help raise awareness and share important conservation messages about shorebirds and horseshoe crabs.
This project was developed in collaboration with NJ Audubon who have a similar project on Atlantic ocean beaches.
To request a youth presentation or to display a sign contact Laura Chamberlin.
Making a difference on the Delaware Bay is as easy as rescuing a stranded horseshoe crab. Horseshoe crabs often become stranded, overturned, or impinged behind natural and man-made structures and need a little help to get back to the Bay.
For New Jersey beaches, go to reTURN the Favor for guidance on how to work on closed beaches, collect data, and participate in an event.
If you have a group that wants to volunteer, please contact us.
Don’t forget to check our Resources for several tools for planning trips including finding other things to do, where to stay and eat, and other helpful tips.
Through May and June, there will be 12 horseshoe crab tagging and survey events on beaches in New Jersey. Find an event or check out www.horseshoecrabtagging.org
Since 1990, horseshoe crab spawning surveys have been conducted on in Delaware and New Jersey. Volunteers are always needed to participate in one of their 12 survey nights in May and June. Learn more at www.horseshoecrabssurvey.com
Celebrate Delaware Bay is a project of the Executive OFfice of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network and Manomet, Inc.